From the kitchen of Sharon Y. Cobb. Enjoy!
My sister-in-law, Barbara Ward, made this delicious dish for my husband and my 12th wedding anniversary dinner when we were visiting her in New Zealand. It’s amazingly easy and absolutely scrumptious.
4 lamb shanks
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons oregano
14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, diced, undrained
2 cups beef broth
1 cup lentils (dried), Must use tiny French Lentile Verte du Puy
2. Put lamb shanks in an extra-large baking dish (with lid). Sprinkle with brown sugar and oregano. Pour tomatoes and beef broth over the shanks. Cover casserole dish tightly with heavy duty tin foil and put on lid.
3. Bake for 1 hour. Turn lamb shanks over. Leave tin foil off, put lid on and return to oven.
4. Bake for 45 more minutes.
5. Turn oven down to 350 degrees. Put lentils in and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Take lid off casserole dish and cook 30 more minutes to allow lamb to brown. (Could be less or more time, depending on size of shanks.)
Approximately 2 ½ hours total cooking time.